About the College
The College traces its roots to the Pias-Gaang Community High School which became the Currimao School of Fisheries in 1971 by virtue of RA 4282. In the following year, a two-and-a-half-year course, Associate in Fishery Education, was offered in addition to the secondary curriculum.
On June 16, 1976, the late President Ferdinand E. Marcos issued PD 945 integrating the School of Fisheries, together with the Dingras National Agricultural School (DNAS) in Dingras, Ilocos Norte, and the Ilocos Norte School of Craftsmen (INSC) in Paoay, Ilocos Norte to the Mariano Marcos Memorial State College of Science and Technology (MMMCST) in order to attain a unification of programs and policies for regional development. The school began to offer the four-year Bachelor of Science in Fisheries, with inland fisheries, marine fisheries and fish processing as major fields of specialization.
A year-and-a-half later, on January 6, 1978, the MMMCST and the Northern Luzon State College (NLSC) of Laoag City were merged as the Mariano Marcos State University (MMSU) by virtue of PD 1279. From 1978 onwards, the school has metamorphosed into a lead institution in fisheries, particularly in Northern Luzon.
In June 1998, with the growing concern for sustainable development and rational utilization, management and conservation of the fisheries and aquatic resources, the College offered the four-year Bachelor of Science in Marine Biology.
In August 2009, the College had been accredited by the National Agriculture and Fisheries Education System (NAFES) through the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) as a National University/College of Fisheries or National Center of Excellence in Fisheries.